Leesburg FC Schalke06 – a 2006 (Fall ’18 U13) boys team competing in the ODSL.
Welcome to the Leesburg FC Schalke 06 “Knappenschmiede”, where talent is forged!
So what is “Schalke 06” and “Knappenschmiede”?
- Schalke: Region in the Ruhr valley area of Germany (around the city of Gelsenkirchen), a historical coal mining and industrial area
- Knappen: Historical term used for miners in the Ruhr area of Germany, who often were young boys.
- FC Schalke 04: A famous German First Division Bundesliga soccer team formed in 1904 which at that time was made up mostly of young boys, many of who worked in the coal mines in the area.
- Schmiede: Forge or smith.
- Knappenschmiede: “Where youth are forged/developed”, in the context of the FC Schalke 04 youth program. It is the name of their youth academy.
Our philosophy is similar to the FC Schalke 04 Knappenschmiede Youth Academy, with whom we take great pride in sharing a deep responsibility to their ideals and methodology.
We are committed to providing a family-friendly environment where each member of the team is developed to the best of their ability on the field and is valued as a unique member of our team. More importantly, we are committed to forging upstanding youth who show respect for the game, our opponents, the game officials and the greater Leesburg Football Club community. We are committed to enjoy not only us as a team but as a greater team family. Our season is more than about winning or losing, it is learning how to better ourselves in a more competitive league in a positive and fun environment, learning life lessons such as how to overcome difficulties, recovering from mistakes, faith in ourselves, teammates, parents and coaches – with persistence.
Priorities for being on this team:
We practice twice a week at Morven Park during Fall and Spring seasons – Tuesdays and Thursdays between 6:00 – 8:00 PM. At least one training session per week is with a full-time experience trainer. We are very engaged in friendlies with other local clubs including regular cross-town Derby with FC Barcelona Escola. We also are full of team spirit and love the relationship we have grown with FC Schalke 04 in Germany, where have and will continue to plan (optional) international trips to. Additional commitment may include technical training, which is held once per week. This team plays games on Sundays (and occasional Saturdays) and we attend about three tournaments per year. In the winter we have about six to eight indoor training sessions where we value and do our best to encourage our players in being involved with other sports. Players are to prioritize all practices, games and tournaments, as playing time may be adjusted in relation to the level of commitment.
In order to keep our costs low and operations running smoothly parents will be asked to step up and help out. Roles include, but aren’t limited to: Team Manager, Treasurer, Uniform Coordinator, Tournament Coordinator, Field Coordinator and Website/Social Media Coordinator.
Estimated Costs for the 2017-2018 Season:
$1,250/year which includes but are not limited to the following:
- LFC, League and VYSA Fees for both winter/spring
- 3 tournaments
- Fall, Winter, Spring Training
- Field Rentals
Leesburg FC Schalke 09
Old Dominion Soccer League (ODSL) – TBD
Head Coach: Brian – email